The latest news and gossip on your favourite artists.
Kiss Announce Farewell World Tour: ‘Our Biggest Show Yet’
Kiss announced tonight their “End of the Road World Tour” — which, obviously enough, will be their last. While the group stopped short of announcing dates, the title suggests the tour will be on the scale of Elton John’s three-year farewell campaign, which launched earlier this month.
“All that we have built and all that we have conquered over the past four decades could never have happened without the millions of people worldwide who’ve filled clubs, arenas and stadiums over those years,” the band said in a statement. “This will be the ultimate celebration for those who’ve seen us and a last chance for those who haven’t. KISS Army, we’re saying goodbye on our final tour with our biggest show yet and we’ll go out the same way we came in… Unapologetic and unstoppable.”
The group made the announcement on NBC’s “America’s Got Talent,” and also performed their 1976 hit “Detroit Rock City.”
Kiss made their reputation as a live act in the mid-1970s with the most over-the-top presentation rock concerts had seen to date, intensifying and exaggerating the fantasy and horror-movie elements Alice Cooper had introduced a few years earlier. Everything about Kiss was larger than life — wild makeup and costumes, fireworks, hydraulic platforms and of course the blood-spitting demon, Gene Simmons — which led many in the rock intelligensia to write off their music. But that intelligensia contained few teenaged boys, and elements of Kiss can be seen in nearly every over-the-top rock band that’s followed.
Beatles' Let It Be film set for 2020 revamp
The Beatles' Let It Be movie is to be remastered and re-released for its 50th anniversary in 2020, according to Paul McCartney.
Director Michael Lindsay-Hogg's film, which documented the making of the Fab Four's final studio album Let It Be, was released in 1970.
It featured the iconic footage from the group's 1969 concert on the roof of their Apple Corps headquarters in London.
McCartney has now revealed there are plans to mark the film's 50th anniversary with a new DVD/Blu-Ray release, which will feature never-before-seen footage.
"I think there may be a new version of it," he told Canada’s Radio X. "That is kind of the latest gossip.
"We keep talking about it. We have meetings at Apple, you know, the original Beatles Apple. And it’s one of the things you never quite know what’s gonna happen with it... I keep saying, 'What’s gonna happen?’, because people ask about it. I tell you what I think - it’s gonna happen.
"I think there may be a new version of it... There’s a lot of footage, and the original movie came out, and it was really sort of about the break-up of The Beatles. And so, for me, it was a little sad, the movie. But I know people have been looking at the (unreleased) footage - there’s about 56 hours of footage.
"Someone was talking to me the other day and said, 'The overall feeling is very joyous and very uplifting. It’s like a bunch of guys making music and enjoying it'. So I think there is some talk about making a new movie, re-editing it from the same period, from the same footage. We can make a new film out of it. So who knows, that may be happening in a year or two."
Bob Seger hangs up guitar after half-century career
Heartland rocker Bob Seger said Tuesday that he was retiring from touring, announcing final dates after a half-century career.
The 73-year-old songwriter -- best known for his hit "Old Time Rock and Roll," his 1979 tribute to what then already seemed like a retro musical style -- will tour across North America starting in November with a final date on May 2 in Houston.
Seger's representative said in a statement that the concerts would be his "final tour" but did not elaborate on the reasons.
But Seger has repeatedly hinted at retirement and last year underwent surgery for a ruptured disc in his back.
"I hope this pain goes away, 'cause they can never really guarantee it -— and if it doesn't, then I'm done, dude," Seger told the music site Louder earlier this year, while emphasizing that he was recovering and his voice was unaffected.
Seger, a collaborator of the Eagles, was also deeply affected by the 2016 death of the group's frontman Glenn Frey, to whom Seger dedicated a song on his latest album.
Born in Detroit, Seger found stardom with his Midwestern-influenced heartland rock, driven by a heavy guitar rooted in the blues and country with Seger's distinctly intense voice taking on themes of blue-collar life.
Seger -- whose hits also include "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" and "Shakedown," the theme to the 1987 film "Beverly Hills Cop II" -- has grown increasingly political in his songwriting with recent songs defending the environment and taking to task President Donald Trump.
Bono holds crying child at Paris restaurant gig
Rocker Bono turned toddler whisperer during an intimate gig in a Paris restaurant over the weekend after one unhappy young fan refused to stop crying.
The U2 frontman was preparing for the Food for Soul gig at Refettorio Paris when Bono picked the little girl up and tried to convince her to stop wailing.
The dad of four then held her in his arms throughout his performance of the band's hit One - and she appeared to stop crying.
Chef Massino Bottura posted the video of the performance to Instagram, thanking U2 for supporting the restaurant and the Food for Soul charity he co-founded to help struggling Parisians.
The video and the performance come just two weeks after Bono was forced to bow out of a U2 concert in Berlin, Germany after losing his voice.
"I've seen a great doctor and with his care I'll be back to full voice for the rest of the tour," the singer writes in a new statement.
"So happy and relieved that anything serious has been ruled out. My relief is tempered by the knowledge that the Berlin audience were so inconvenienced. There was an amazing atmosphere in the house. It was going to be one of those unforgettable nights but not for this reason... We can't wait to get back there on November 13th."
The rescheduled Berlin gig will now serve as the last date on the group's Experience + Innocence tour.
In video footage posted on social media, Bono paused the show and told the crowd that "something's happened" and that they "cannot go on".
"Before we left the dressing room, I was ready to sing for you. Something's happened and I think we cannot go on. It's not right for you... I'm sure this is not a big, big problem, but I'm going to have to do something," he said, reportedly blaming the smoke machines for affecting his voice.
Tom Petty's sidekick considering Heartbreakers reunion tribute
New Fleetwood Mac member Mike Campbell has assured Tom Petty fans the late rocker's backing band will regroup at some point.
Petty died in October (17) and as the first anniversary of his passing looms, his longtime sidekick and Heartbreakers guitarist has started thinking about a future tribute to his band leader.
"We'll play again someday," he says. "We love each other too much not to do that."
But Campbell, who is now on the road with his new group, Fleetwood Mac, insists the Heartbreakers couldn't just dig up a Petty replacement for shows.
"We’d probably have four or five different guest singers with us," he tells Rolling Stone. "We don’t know who they might be though or when this might happen."
Campbell reveals he and his fellow Heartbreakers will probably hit the road and play the entirety of Petty's 1994 solo album Wildflowers, but he isn't averse to getting the band back in the studio to record new music with another singer.
"In the stretch of my imagination, if there’s somebody that we really respect that would want to do an album with a band, we could maybe do that," he says. "And if we made an album together and that felt really good and we wanted to go on the road as a whole, doing different songs, maybe there’d be a place for that in the future. But that’s just pie-in-the-sky talk. But it definitely would have to be all new material. It wouldn’t be going out and doing Heartbreakers songs without Tom."
Kylie Minogue to perform at Glastonbury
Kylie Minogue has reportedly signed up to perform at next year's Glastonbury festival.
According to The Sun newspaper, the 50-year-old singer has agreed to perform in the Legends slot on Sunday afternoon at the legendary British music event.
The claims come 13 years after Kylie was forced to pull out of a scheduled performance at the festival due to her breast cancer battle.
"Kylie had to pull out of Glastonbury in 2005 just a month before she was due to appear so this performance will be a very emotional and poignant moment for her," a source told the publication. "She jumped at the opportunity to appear next year and it is the perfect way to celebrate her career."
Kylie was replaced by dance music stars Basement Jaxx at the 2005 festival. She appeared at Glastonbury as a special guest with the Scissor Sisters in 2010, but previously told the Press Association she was keen to headline the festival in the future.
"When I was supposed to do it I think I would have been the first solo female to headline in however many years it was, so I was really proud of that at that time," she said. "Obviously it didn't happen. So yes, it would be amazing and very emotional to be standing there and doing what I didn't get to do all those years ago, for sure."
She added in the interview earlier this year (18) that she believes she's now in a better position to perform at Glastonbury because she's had more experience doing outdoor shows.
Kylie underwent surgery and chemotherapy in 2005 and was declared cancer-free in early 2006.
Cher on former fling Tom Cruise: 'We bonded over dyslexia'
Cher recalls her love affair with Tom Cruise started after the couple bonded over their shared experiences of dyslexia.
The 72-year-old icon has long been rumoured to have enjoyed a historic romance with the Mission: Impossible star after meeting at Sean Penn and Madonna’s wedding in 1985 and later reuniting at a party at the White House with then-U.S. President Ronald Reagan, despite a 22-year-old Tom being 16 years Cher's junior.
Speaking of the political event, the Believe singer confirmed the pair had indeed enjoyed a love affair and recalled how the topic of dyslexia formed the backbone of their connection.
"A bunch of people who were dyslexic were invited to the White House, and Tom and I are both dyslexic," she explained to Event magazine. "We didn't go out till way later, but there definitely was a connection there."
In addition, Cher added that she considers the Hollywood actor among her "all-time top five lovers", though she declined to divulge why.
However, Tom, who went on to marry, and divorce, Mimi Rogers, Nicole Kidman and Katie Holmes, isn't the only ex-partner Cher still thinks of fondly.
The veteran performer opened up about her former flames on James Corden's The Late Late Show on Sunday (16Sep18) and addressed her two-year romance with Tom's Top Gun co-star Val Kilmer, who she dated between 1982 and 1984.
'When we kissed, I thought my head would shoot right off my body," she smiled, before labelling Rob Camilletti - the pastry chef 18 years her junior who she dated from 1986 to 1989 - 'possibly the one true love of my life'.
Asked about the state of her current love life, Cher confirmed that she is single, though she is "on the lookout" for Mr. Right. However, she lamented the state of modern day dating and blamed social media for getting in the way of good old fashioned romance.
"The problem I have with all the boyfriends lately is that I don't want to go any place with them because you can't keep a relationship going in this kind of goldfish bowl, where everything you do and every picture you have taken will be on Instagram," she mused. "There's no way to keep something special.'
Paul Weller takes on Eminem for his first UK Number 1 album in six years
Eminem fought off one music legend in Paul McCartney last Friday, but can Slim Shady do it again this week?
If today’s Official Albums Chart Update figures are to go by, then perhaps not. The Modfather himself Paul Weller has a lead of 3,000 combined chart sales at today’s midweek stage with his latest album True Meanings.
Paul’s fourteenth solo studio record lags behind Eminem’s Kamikaze (2) when it comes to digital downloads and streams, but has a huge lead on physical formats, with Paul’s LP also available on vinyl. Will The Jam frontman collect his first UK chart topper since 2012’s Sonik Kicks? Click here to view Paul Weller’s full solo UK chart history.
Elsewhere in the latest sales flash Top 5, Aphex Twin’s Collapse EP is set to become his first UK Top 5 entry at Number 4, while Pale Waves are coasting to a Top 5 debut album with My Mind Makes Noises at Number 5.
Electronic duo Orbital are on the cusp of their highest charting album in nearly 20 years with their first record in six years Monsters Exist (6), plus Jungle are heading for a second consecutive Top 10 with For Ever at 8. David Guetta is also charging towards his fourth UK Top 10 album - 7 is currently at Number 9.
A third Top 20 album is on the horizon for Carrie Underwood as her sixth studio album Cry Pretty occupies Number 11, folk musician Richard Thompson has his eyes on an 11th UK Top 40 album with 13 Rivers at 13, while Planet Jarre, a career retrospective from Jean Michel Jarre is at Number 14. Minnesota rockers Low and punk outfit Good Charlotte are also heading for the Top 20 with Double Negative (19) and Generation Rx (20) respectively.
Atlanta rapper 6lack is at 22 with his sophomore album East Atlanta Love Letter, Sleaford Mods are step behind at 23 with their self-titled EP, Ghetts is aiming for a second Top 30 entry with Ghetto Gospel: The New Testament at 24, while Hawkwind are one placing below at Number 25 with Road To Utopia.
Tony Bennett & Diana Krall’s duets album Love Is Here To Stay parks at Number 28, Scottish rock act Fatherson hope to earn their first Top 40 with Sum Of All Your Parts at Number 29, and Uriah Heep’s 25th studio album Living The Dream is at 30.
Finally, following what would have been her 35th birthday last week, Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black vaults 64 slots to Number 33.
Lenny Kravitz launches toothpaste
Rocker Lenny Kravitz has co-founded a toothpaste to benefit charity.
The American Woman hitmaker teamed up with brothers Cody and Julian Levine to create Twice, a tooth-cleaning product made specifically for twice-a-day use.
"Products that care for your smile should make you smile," Cody says. "So we set out to create the best toothpaste that makes an impact - one that we love using, every morning and every night."
"The only thing better than a beautiful smile is giving one to someone else," Julian adds.
Kravitz and the Levines' idea to create the product came about in 2016, when they were on a volunteer mission with GLO Good Foundation and Lenny's Let Love Rule Foundation in Eleuthra together. During the trip, the organisers hosted a free dental clinic for the citizens of the island dealing with oral health issues.
The 54 year old rocker and the brothers will donate 10 per cent of the proceeds to the GLO Good Foundation, which provides dental care to under-served communities.
"It's easy to take for granted something as simple as brushing your teeth, but there are people around the world that look at toothpaste as a luxury," a press release from Kravitz reads. "Eleuthera is home for me, so the people and this cause are very close to my heart, and there's nothing I want more than to see them happy, healthy and smiling. That's why I'm committed to making Twice a reality and growing this important mission."